Hello Mickey!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Passing of a great teacher. A friend. A true person.

It never occur to me that losing another teacher would also meant losing a part of what I am today. Last February 28, I was so frustrated about my day at school that I haven't even realize that I should be thankful for the life that I'm living instead of despising it because of the hardships it has given me.

During that day also, I found out through my younger sister Melrose, that our teacher way back in
Kindergarten passed away. I was shocked to hear this. I really thought she was already well and I felt guilty knowing I haven't even visited in the hospital back in high school when she was diagnosed of a certain disease or illness.

I remember when I was in grade 3 that she also had a stroke. Back then I would hold her hand and listen as she spoke to me. Hearing her raspy voice would never leave my head. Seeing that she was also guided by her husband.

Back in kindergarten, I remember she was the first teacher I ever lied to! I was so embarrassed back then that I never lied to a teacher again. They always find the truth. It was when I came to school in my civilian clothes. My brother who was already in grade 3 wore civilian clothes too, and so I assumed we would be doing the same. When I found out that we should be wearing our school uniform, she asked why I wasn't wearing it. I told her that my uniform got wet. I laugh now because I sounded stupid back then using the oldest trick in the book for an excuse like that. She then answered, "Hambal lola mo sakon ma civilian ka kay naga civilian ang mga elementary". I was shocked. I really was. A felt ashamed and I said I was sorry. But she forgave me then stating I should never lie again.

Thinking about it right now did changed me a bit. Though her impact on me really felt like she left without giving another teaching or advice. She was a teacher, an older sister, maybe a mother in a way but most of all, the sweetest person there is. Any kid who goes through kindergarten teachers will always remember how they were first taught in the confines of the classroom and how each nursery rhyme or song would be sung.

Bottom line, I do miss her. I miss her voice when she speak. It would always be soft, gentle, non commanding but pleasing, a little bit rough or raspy but the same amount of love in it. I miss how she would let us nap though I cant even fall asleep because she would roam around and give stars.

I wish that she had led a peaceful and happy life, that people would always remember her is her happiest and not in the times she was sick or in pain. I wish that I could have said goodbye to her, though I also dont because it will only make it harder to let go.
And to think we have the same first letters in our names.

Maam Willa, I will always love you and you have made a great impact in my life. You're my first teacher in WVSU and I hope that you had also touched lives of as you have touched mine.
You will forever be remembered, in our hearts, our mind, and in our lives.
May God welcome you with His loving arms.


Love,
Your student.

2 comments:

Total Pageviews