Hello Mickey!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Reasons...




 Why Nursing?

               When I was young I always dreamt of being a nurse. I liked how they wore their uniforms, so proper and clean. The way they took care of their patients and show them how important it is for them to get well. I always felt secure and safe whenever I see them; smiling and assuring me I’ll be okay whenever I get sick and also because my parents wanted me to be like one too.  For me, they were like angels ready to help and ease the pain.
               But as I grew up, I never realized that being a nurse, especially a student nurse wouldn’t be that easy. I saw how they would pour out their time and effort in passing the course. How stressful it was to work rounds at the hospital, to pass the requirements on time, wear the uniform as properly as they can and keeping track of their lives.
               Being a nurse is such a noble profession but it has its pros and cons too. Helping people, saving lives and making them happy was what I always thought about their job, and doing everything to make the patient well again. But sometimes, when things get out of hand, one may not make it out alright and that really affects the nurse. It’s like one hasn’t fulfilled in making the patient survive. But, God has His own ways. I know He has plans for all of us.
               That’s the time when I got scared and had second thoughts in taking up the course. I never thought about the income I’ll get in the end. I never did. I wanted to live up to it. Do well in it. I got scared, frustrated and mad at my parents for pushing me in something I never really wanted. As high school was about to end, passing of applications and picking courses was my biggest dilemma. I haven’t decided what to take yet. I wanted to be a Physical Therapist. For the reason that, I wanted to help my Grandfather. I pitied him and I loved him very much. I wanted to make him well again and the payment for a private PT is too expensive and sometimes he gets tired easily when we go to the hospital for rehab. I really wanted to take that course, but they told me that I should try nursing then just shift during the second semester if I really don’t like it.
               The day of the interview came and I was still halfhearted in taking up nursing. I passed the exam and I’ve come this far in being a so – called nursing student of WVSU. One of the teachers asked me during the interview, “Why did you take nursing as your course?” I wasn’t shocked about the question. I anticipated that, days before the interview. What shocked me was my answer. Even though I was expecting that question, I never really thought about what answer to give. I was nervous that time, and I guess, what came out was purely coming from my heart. I answered that, “I wanted to help my family especially my grandfather. He is suffering from stroke and to be frank, I wanted to take the course Physical Therapy. But as I come to realize, there are so many things a nurse can do that just being a PT. I can help my family in so many ways compared to the other course. As a child I really did wanted to be a

Nurse, I was just scared of the things that may come in my way. But now, I’m gonna hold my ground and embrace this course. And someday, I’ll be a nurse too.”
               Until now, I can’t forget my answer. I realized that I was scared for my future. It wasn’t a joke for me. This will be my life in the end. This is my career. All I need to do is do my best in everything that I do. My family was one of the reasons that motivated me in becoming a nurse. They were the reason why I’m taking this course and why I really want to do well in it. I know it’s not just a season that will come and go. This will really test how strong I’ll be when I face all of this. All I know is that I have them whenever I need them and also to my teachers, friends and to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews