Hello Mickey!

Sunday, September 2, 2012

“The other girl in a White Uniform”

About me…Hmm. Who I am? What my life is all about? What topic to talk? Stories to tell? Honestly, there are so many things I would tell about myself. Is just that, I don’t know where to start or if I would even get the words out correctly. But I don’t want to brag like I’m all THAT. Because actually, I’m just a freshman student enrolled in one of the most prestigious school here in Iloilo and is taking up the course Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
I don’t want to sound so big headed or so right about the things that I would tell. But I hope you (the one who is reading) would cope with me as I go along the way. Imagine! I would write 3 pages about myself?! I don’t know what things I would eventually write here. I might even flow out of the topic itself. So far I like how I am going with this. I actually find it interesting. I do have a passion for writing, not to mention my poor grammar, or talk about current events involving social media and other people. I even once considered Journalism as my career. For now, I’ll stick to where I am, and enjoy as much as I can until my body gives up. Just kidding. And so, bear with me!
To start with, my name is Winona Yvonne B. Olimpo. If you’re wondering what my middle initial is, its Barbero. Barbero as in the barber man. I always feel awkward or embarrassed whenever someone asks about my middle name. But now, I think it’s funny. To think I have an awesome middle name. (thought you wanted to know about it) Moving on, I’m 17 years old and currently living in Ph.2 Sunflower St. Alta Tierra Village Jaro, Iloilo City. It’s a 30 minute ride from our house to school. I’ve been in the same school since kindergarten, elementary, high school, and now even college! Yup! Have been studying here in WVSU for quite a long time now. Maybe 12 years already? I’ve spent almost two – thirds of my childhood in this school. And until now, look where I am? Still in this school. Loyalty Award! :D I’m athletic, friendly, easy going, some find me funny and others think I’m very serious. Depends on my mood though. I play the piano, guitar and sometimes I also write songs just to past the time or if I’m really upset or happy. I have two siblings both also came from this school. My brother is named Ralph a fresh graduate of John B. Lacson, and my little sister who is not that little and in fact bigger than me, is a 4th year high school student here. We were all raised by our grandmother coz our parents are too busy working and providing all the things that we need.
I could tell you about a story, a funny one or something very personal to me. But I’m still weighing my options. It’s like giving half of my secret or even my identity to someone I barely even know or if I could talk about my stories without giving too much information. But as far as I can remember, the last article I’ve made was way back when I was in third year high school. I was so very eager to win an award whenever we had journalism contests outside and in the school. And I would feel glad that I chose to be a journalist. But as that year was coming to an end, we were tasked to write some articles which will be included in our school paper. I wrote so many articles, passed those which I really thought about. In the end, not even one was published in our school paper. I was crushed. Degraded. Hurt. Embarrassed. And so, my self – esteem slightly faded. Maybe it wasn’t really meant for me, but I just wished that even one of my articles was published. And when I was already a senior, I didn’t feel like giving it another shot and I let it passed. In the end, I regretted not wasting my effort on that time. And now, I’m pouring it here! Just writing and writing and writing until where the page may take us. I’ve come to realize that part of growing up was also making the decisions and also acting to what you should be and what you would become eventually. I’m a college a student now. There’s more to life that we expected.
People would always say that time flies when you’re having fun. I agree to that! I’ve lead my life as happy as I could be. Despite all the challenges that were in my way when I was growing up. That feeling when your mother wasn’t there to comfort you whenever you feel sad or downhearted, all you could do is lay in bed and pray for the problems to go away. Or that longing for your father to come home during the holidays and feel sad again when it’s time for him to go back to his work. I admit, until now I’m still not used to it. I even shed little tears whenever they leave or even arrive. Growing was never easy without either or even both of my parents. But I’m thankful that they are still with me even though they’re far away. Love binds us all together.
As I mentioned before, I’m a nursing student here in WVSU. And believe me, I am very scared of the things other people are saying about this course. How difficult it is, how you don’t get to sleep at night or even think well because of the many things to study. When I was young I really dreamt in becoming a nurse like my aunt. To serve in the hospital and wore those nice white uniforms. But as I come to realize, it wasn’t that easy after all. Of course you’ll have to do a lot of things first before you’re called a certified “nurse”. Those sleepless nights, duties and rounds at the hospitals, SCARY THINGS in the hospital and God – knows – what other mischiefs are in the hospital at night! For now I’m just girl wearing a white uniform and is abeled as a nursing student. I’m really doing my best to make my parents proud of me. They really wanted for me to become a nurse. But sometimes, frankly I also doubt my capabilities. Thinking I’m not enough for this kind of course and might even cause embarrassment to them. I’m still a freshman student, and I know I will still eat a lot of rice (if you know what I mean) and will really go a long way. I just cross my fingers for now and really hope for the best. This is also for my future. I want to be successful someday! Everybody wants to be successful, right? I just really need to focus and really do my best in everything that I do. But also not to step on others and be humble as well. For now Im taking every step that leads me to my future. I can’t say that the road would all be too nice and comfy. I know there are a lot of obstacles. But with the help of my parents, my friends, teachers, classmates and also those who love me and knows me very much and also last but not the least, God, I know I can surpass anything that is in my way. Also I have to trust myself too. If I don’t believe in myself, then who will? People say that your greatest motivator is also yourself. If you believe in your goals and dreams, one can really achieve them with a lot of effort and with the help of some people who are also willing to take the journey with you.
          For now, I’m still in a verge of growing up. Trying to find out a lot of things. A lot more confused on what’s going on around me and why other things or people are like what they are. I am somehow having a little shock on my environment where I’m considered a college student already. It’s like yesterday I was pulling my yellow and blue trolley bag up the stairs to my kindergarten classroom along with my grandmother. But now, look at me. High heels, handbag, big books, white uniforms and together with my friends. Sometimes I think to myself if I were given a chance to go back in time, it would those times where my only problem was how to play at the swing when the other kid leaves while the other kids are also trying to make their move. Or what crayon to pick when coloring a book or sharing your snack to somebody. Those times where you don’t have to deal with any problem. Now, I realized that as long as I grew older, there would be a lot of bigger things to ponder upon or more decisions to make wisely. I’m a young adult now and somehow I should really act that way. Be responsible in what I do and what I say. To be a proper lady and abide the rules set in becoming a proper person. I know my story is a little bit jumbled up (as I said) but I hope, you have taken a slight piece of me after you read my composition. I want to share anything with you as long as it is all related. I know I should be talking about some topic or story, but hey! This is my story. My life, who I am and what I am made of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews